Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:50:42 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> We've seen no _evidence_ about a supposed dearth of newbies coming to
> Emacs, in spite of repeated _claims_.  No Emacs-is-dying problem has
> been shown, so far.

Of course it is very hard to show statistics for newbies. OTOH, absence
of proof does not indicate that the fact does not exists.

Let's turn to a source from where to get hard numbers then.

This is a list of number of committers per year, based on the changelogs:

2010  91
2009 132
2008 155
2007 147
2006 134
2005 151
2004 117
2003 127
2002 107
2001  60
2000  61
1999  86
1998  93
1997 134
1996  68
1995  70
1994  74
1993  38
1992   9
1991  14
1990  15

My very personal interpretation of that series is that Emacs development
is not growing with its potential user base.

[snip]