Re: substitute-key-definition vs. define-key MAP [remap ...]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: substitute-key-definition vs. define-key MAP [remap ...]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:33:24 +0900

>  > And it's _extremely_ handy for some uses... e.g., one of my favorite
>  > tricks is little minor-modes that bind [remap self-insert-command]...
>
> It's a handy hack, I'm sure.  I think there are better ways to achieve
> the same end, that's all.

For instance?  Solutions as adding hooks/functions for to allow
mode-specific semantics for standard commands
(e.g. `fill-paragraph-function') are better for those cases, I think,
but they have far higher cost (they must be added by the emacs
developer), and are not really so nice for minor modes -- IOW, it
doesn't really achieve the same thing.

-Miles

--
Once, adj. Enough.