windows build env

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: windows build env
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:05:28 +0100

Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?

I'm looking again at building emacs under wine with mingw/gnuwin32/msys. The wine-1.2 release seems to have a heap of improvements and things are nearly working - I have a running wine-built emacs but still had to intervene during build to kill a few hung/crashed processes, during compilation of lisp/hilit-chg.el, eshell, tramp and vc.

apart from some annoying wine cmd.exe deficiencies, it seems to be just diff/patch and networking spawned processes that are sulking, but I'm thinking maybe that's because I've got the "wrong" ones installed (particularly suspicious of the msys stuff).

e.g. hung process during build of lisp/hilit-chg.el :
    msys\1.0\bin\patch.exe -z. b