Re: Selection changes

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:32:19 +0100

On 24/07/10 19:44, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:

AFAIK the use of rebinding (mouse-2, menu-bar) rather than rewriting the
existing functions to which they were bound to honour some additional
customization booleans (as in some earlier iterations of this...) does
make it impossible to use pure customization theme functionality to
encapsulate the changes.

Perhaps reverting the rebinding of mouse-2, but then expanding mouse-yank-at-click to honour a boolean customization
mouse-yank-selection-only would be best?

This would certainly simplify instructing users on how to switch between the old and new behaviours (and I guess we can expect more tickets in the tracker in that area): it becomes possible to switch the behaviours solely by changing a small set of all-boolean customizations.

Thhis also means other bindings to mouse-yank-at-click (such as in the fringes, or done by 3rd party apps or end users) get the behaviour.

(*apart from the menu, though maybe users most likely to want the "classic" behaviour are least likely to be heavy menu users)