Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:32:01 -0300

2010/7/25 Drew Adams <address@hidden>:

> Whatever happened to Eclipse in this discussion?
> Now we're spiraling down to `vi vs Emacs'?

I don't know if you people were aware of this. But once I had to work
on a Java project and I was forced to use Eclipse. Looking deep at the
preferences I was amazed when I found that there was an Emacs
key-binding scheme available.

Being on the opposite situation, in Emacs is even easier to find how
to activate CUA: Options -> C-x/C-c/C-v Cut and Paste (CUA)

With that said, I guess discussing activating CUA by default is not
really relevant at all and I think a better discussion is if it should
be mentioned in the tutorial.

For me the way to improve Emacs' learning curve is not changing Emacs
itself but providing quick/easy to understand documentation.

For instance together with the Tutorial we could have:
    * a Quick Command Reference with just common basic commands.
    * an Available Minor Modes Quick Reference showing a table of the
form (minor-mode description).
    * an Available Major Modes Quick Reference. The same as above but
for major-modes.
    * Tips and Tricks describing some nice things to do with your
Emacs (for instance introducing M-x apropos and C-h k)

And I'm thinking of those to be listed in (about-emacs) just before
the Emacs Tutorial.

What do you think about that?

Best Regards,
--