Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs, QT and Cairo
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:24:38 +0200

> It would be interesting to see an analysis of emacs' redisplay needs
> in light of modern cpu/gpu/network usage, or even a list of needs for
> emacs' redisplay priorities.  I recall the 18->19->20 discussions
> vaguely, but I'm willing to wager that there are far fewer people
> using x-terminals over 14.4k modem lines these days.  :-)

I don't know about remote uses (I don't use them very often other than
through terminal emulators), but at least local redisplay is currently
borderline too slow in many of my use cases.  Now I don't have much of
a clue about where the time is spent (maybe it's not really in
redisplay), but at least performance is still an issue.

        Stefan