Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:32:53 +0900

Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:
> It seems to me that these "actions" are a form of abstract operations.
> The actions implemented by a mode can be regarded as its interface.

I think it's a good idea (and have advocated it before), but no, it
won't solve the problem of re-skinning.  It would be nice for bringing a
bit of order to commonly used operations, treated as singular events,
but it does not do anything for uncommon operations -- which are
probably the _majority_ of bindings in emacs (as opposed to simple
editors like notepad) -- nor does it offer any help in avoiding
conflicts (the "whack-a-mole problem" as someone in this thread so aptly
put it) or preserving patterns which are an important feature of Emacs'
current bindings or [e.g. the "n/f type bindings go forward", etc].

The thing is, so far everybody advocating "binding change" has been
waving their hands, making vague feel-good statements, trotting out
buzzwords, etc -- but to _really_ do it, somebody has to sit down and
actually work out the painful details of how to handle the problems.

Hand-waving and buzzwords aren't enough.

-Miles

--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space,
to have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less,