Re: mouse paste completely broken

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: mouse paste completely broken
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:44:34 +0100

On 27/07/10 21:59, Sam Steingold wrote:
the situation is much worse than I first thought.

Emacs kill/yank default interactions with x11 selections on the development trunk (not the stable branch) were recently changed to [try to] act like recent x11 apps. So, there are both genuine bugs being shaken out and intentional behavioural differences to deal with***.

... But there are definitely real problems switching frames/windows with active regions, what you describe is wrong, certainly from a usefulness perspective and after accounting for any intentional differences.

A (yes, stupid) workaround is to left click once in window X after selecting text in that window X before middle clicking in the other window Y.

I for one do intend to look at this and various issues on the various gui platforms (x11/ns/w32) in the area that have been made painfully obvious by the defaults changes, but as usual I don't have much time until this weekend (it is a long weekend...).

Note that I can replicate similar issues in emacs 23.2, really:

emacs -Q
C-x 3
shift-select "is for notes" in LHS *scratch*. It is highlighted.
C-x o to RHS *scratch*

Everything from the start of "is for notes" to the end of the buffer is highlighted, because that's where the point was in the other window, and select-window is "naive" (it just warps to the point saved in the the window).

A fix for select-active-regions somewhat similar to the zero-length regions fix proposed approach should certainly be possible - really we don't want to propagate the active region of a newly switched-to-window until it "really" changes anew post-restoration.

*** In the meantime, if you just want things the way they were, please note only defaults were changed, reversion to previous behaviour is fairly straightforward. Right now, applying the settings below will do that (unless you used the menu bar cut/copy/paste, in which case they need to be rebound too):

1. customize group killing:

x-select-enable-clipboard nil  ; t on w32.
x-select-enable-primary t      ;
select-active-regions nil

2. customize group mouse:
mouse-drag-copy-region t

3. rebind:

(global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-at-click)