Re: rename and clean unexec.c

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: rename and clean unexec.c
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:13:16 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't see a need to rename it.  Renaming complicates VC forensics,
>> even though bzr supports renames.  This isn't the only DOS-specific
>> file in Emacs that doesn't have "dos" as part of its name.
>
> By that argument we should never rename anything.
> Missing renaming support was one of the main reasons that CVS was abandoned.
> This file has a generic name, that's the most of obvious for someone
> looking for unexec, but that file is almost always the wrong place to
> look.

Speaking as someone who is getting familiar with the code base, it is
useful to see a hint on the name about its platform-specific nature. I
dedicated some time to partition the source files among shared,
platform-specific, feature-specific, etc and it could be done a bit
faster if they had more informative names. It is nothing terribly
important, though. It is like renaming a function or variable with a
cryptic name. Helps on some ways and hurts on others. IMHO it is almost
always a good thing, as any code cleanup.

Putting some comment at the top of the file hurts nobody and helps a
lot, though. That practice is already used on several files.

[snip]