Re: Key bindings proposal [Was: Emacs learning curve]

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal [Was: Emacs learning curve]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:08:10 -0400

Hello,

I am writing because I am trying to understand exactly what the keybindings
proposal requires. As I understand it, this chain of events will produce an
undesired result:

1. Global keymap says "C-y" -> yank
2. You map "C-z" -> yank and send "C-y" to something else
3. Gzip major mode says "C-z" -> compress and "C-y" -> gzip-special-yank

At this point typing "C-z" runs 'compress' and typing "C-y" runs
'gzip-special-yank', whereas the desired result was that "C-z" would be
gzip-special-yank and "C-y" would be compress, because you have indicated your
preference that "C-z" be used for yank instead of "C-y".

Remap would not accomplish this (at least not by itself), because there is no
standard command analogous to 'compress' that gzip-mode should have remapped.
However, as long as there is a command anywhere in the keymap that is analogous
to yank, then "C-z" should have been mapped to that, and its keybinding moved
as necessary (perhaps to "C-y").

Is this an accurate statement of the idea?

Noah