Re: Why <config.h> and not "config.h" ?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Why <config.h> and not "config.h" ?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:21:29 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > Actually, I'd be happy to have a recipe to reproduce the problem.

bzr brunch emacs
cd emacs
./configure
mkdir +build
cd +build
./configure --without-x11    # or other spectacular configuration difference
make bootstrap
src/emacs                    # of course, you need an X11 platform
                             # to see the difference

should do the trick.

 > This way we can fix it in the Makefile,

You can't fix it (nothing's broken), you can only prevent it.  Eg,
make everything depend on sane-builddir

sane-builddir:
        if -e src/emacs.c; then
            echo "Dr. Bader thinks you're insane."
            echo "For a second opinion, we recommend"
            echo "mkdir +build"
            echo "cd +build"
            echo "../configure"
            echo "make bootstrap"
            echo "src/emacs -f doctor"
            exit -1
        fi

You might want to use a more polite, informative error message, of course.