RE: Comment on Emacs Lisp Introduction

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Comment on Emacs Lisp Introduction
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:06:11 -0700

> >> What is your problem?
> >
> > David, My problem is that I want to see the function
> > definition of next-line.
>
> ie lisp code without having to search, find which file has it and then
> open it. On some platforms, I dont have the source and its an
> unnecessary interruption in the work to go and make the detour to
> search for it.

As you saw, `symbol-function' gives you the current definition of a function.
However, in your example use of it you can see that it is not very useful if the
definition is byte-compiled.  If you do not have access to the source code, and
if the current definition does not come from the source code but from
byte-compiled code, then what do you expect to see?

If you do have access to the source code and if the function is defined in Lisp,
then `symbol-function' will show you that Lisp code (assuming you have evaluated
the source code).