Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 07:06:22 -0400

>> The changes to the code go back many, many years, and I (as an Xorg
>> member) expect that the spec will be updated to match the code.

SJT> Really?  I can't say I'm terribly impressed with X.org's response
SJT> to complaints that specs and behavior don't match.

The compound text spec shows a 1989 copyright, states that it is
version 1.1 documenting X Version 11 Release 6.8 and notes that
it might be expandepd in the future.

The ctext addtions were clearly added to support additional locales.
And the expansion has stopped thanks to the general shift from iso-
2022 to iso-10646.

Clearly the ctext spec should have followed along with the reference
code just like, eg, the elisp manual follows the code.

I think it is more than fair to update the ctext spec to document the
current reference code, especially now that the document is old enough
to purchase alcohol in its home country. :)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6