Re: define-derived-mode and function arguments

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: define-derived-mode and function arguments
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:54:18 +0200

On Monday 02 August 2010 02:23:59 Wojciech Meyer wrote:

Hi Wojciech,

> Some of mode definitions don't use the idea of derived modes, instead
> they use defuns.
>
> These defuns have sometimes optional arguments.
>
> So the question is, is it possible to use `define-derived-mode' with
> optional arguments?

Not that I know of.  But I even don't know a major mode which uses
optional arguments.  Maybe you confuse minor and major modes?

Calling the `foo-mode' function of one of the former usually toggle the
foo minor mode, and an optional argument is used to enable/disable it
explicitly.  But you cannot disable a major mode except by activating
another major mode, so there's no need for such an argument.

Bye,
Tassilo