Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Stuart Hacking
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:42:07 +0100

On 31 July 2010 11:04, Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> My idea was why can't one type something like "M-x isearch" to get this
> function, instead of "M-x dired-do-isearch" which is too long-winded and
> "M-s a C-s" which is too twisted and unmemorable?  This requires a new
> concept for Emacs, bindable command names that can vary across modes.

To me, this sounds a lot like personal preference. I already have an
emacs-lisp file full of global and mode specific keybindings and
another with some convenience defaliases. These make sense for the way
I work, but I'm sure they would be completely inappropriate for
certain other users.

Is your suggestion to automatically alias functions by the current
major mode? (by, for example, removing the prefix? (dired-do-isearch
-> isearch))

Or, do you want a simple method of aliasing commands across modes? How
would this work?

(define-multi-alias 'isearch
  ('dired-mode 'dired-do-isearch)
  (t 'isearch))

>  (Stephen Turnbull is going to say that you can already get its effect
> through some other means. That is all well and good.  The discussion right
> now is really about how to set up an architecture that is functional for the
> users.  Not everything whose effect can be achieved by other means becomes
> part of the architecture unless we use it appropriately!)

the 'architecture' that I use is a combination of `defalias',
`add-hook', and `define-key' in my personal init files. Am I doing
something wrong?

> [snip]
>
> Cheers,
> Uday