Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:12:47 +0200

On Saturday 31 July 2010 12:04:50 Uday S Reddy wrote:

> My idea was why can't one type something like "M-x isearch" to get
> this function, instead of "M-x dired-do-isearch" which is too
> long-winded and "M-s a C-s" which is too twisted and unmemorable?

I don't know if that's a good idea.  Sounds a bit too DWIMish to me.
What do I do if I want to use normal isearch although there is a
mode-specific isearch implementation?

What I could think of would be the introduction of a namespace concept.
So all basic commands would be declared in the global namespace, and
each mode could have it's own namespace:

  (defun dired:isearch (...) ...)

Emacs then could then have a buffer local `namespace' variable per
major-mode (or a list (major minor1 minor2...)?), so that M-x isearch in
dired-mode would actually call dired:isearch.  To get the global
function, you could do M-x :isearch.

But such a concept would somehow be orthogonal to [remap ...].  If
there's `dired:isearch', I'd expect that `C-s' invokes `dired:isearch'
in dired-mode without having to explicitly remap...

Just audibly thinking...
Tassilo