Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:50:49 +0200

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Wouldn't that be an argument to use window/pane too, instead of
>> frame/window?
>
> That was the first thing that came in my mind, too.  But in contrast to
> copy/cut/paste, current and "modern" names are not disjunctive, so there
> is no possibility to provide aliases for the old names.

Maybe it just requires some more thoughts? I do not think it is a blocker.

> One major problem I see with those modernization ideas is that it would
> make it even harder to write packages that work on all emacs flavours.

Perhaps one can also say that this kind of backward compatibility
blocks new creative ideas for Emacs?

And it stops perhaps users from upgrading.

> Either you'd need to define lots of compatibility code or use the old
> name aliases.

Or just say that if you want a newer version of my-module-x you need
to upgrade Emacs.

> Neither of those alternatives looks desirable to me, and
> in any case it makes life harder for potential new developers.

I think in most cases they will not care about older Emacs versions.