Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:55:57 +0200

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> instead of copy/cut/paste?
>> > From the Emacs manual:
>>
>> Maybe we should make a concerted effort to change the terminology.
>> If someone could go through the manual and docstrings to replace
>> yank=>paste (and kill => cut|copy), and also find new names for
>> variables, functions, and commands (which will need aliases
>> so both the new and old names work), that would be a good start.
>> I'd be happy to review such a patch.
>
> Is it a joke?

Trying to make someone look ridiculous only works if you can convince
people that group thinking is good. (Maybe that will work here, but in
that case there is perhaps no meaning trying to continue.)

> It is better to have different names from the common, whether the Emacs name
> is
> "kill" or "froobarb".  Emacs kill is not the same as cut, etc. but it is
> sufficiently similar that using the same name will cause confusion and
> frustration.

I believe cut/copy/paste are suffiently generic to fit most users mind.

Subtle unnecessary differences should be cured in my opinion.