Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:19:20 +0200

On Monday 02 August 2010 17:50:49 Lennart Borgman wrote:

> > One major problem I see with those modernization ideas is that it
> > would make it even harder to write packages that work on all emacs
> > flavours.
>
> Perhaps one can also say that this kind of backward compatibility
> blocks new creative ideas for Emacs?

Well, maybe yes.  I'm not a big fan of everlasting backwards
compatibility.

But with flavours I've meant Emacs, XEmacs, and SXEmacs.  It's totally
ok to drop support for old emacs versions, and projects like Gnus and
Org have done so.  But dropping support for XEmacs or Emacs because the
function names diverge only because of modernization initiatives is
hardly warrantable.

A coordinated modernization campain across all emacs flavours is
probably quite unlikely...

Bye,
Tassilo