Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: Stuart Hacking
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:11:50 +0100

On 3 August 2010 07:40, Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> with respect to attracting new users, Emacs could
> do better right at the entrance:
>
> Emacs tutorial starts explaining
>
>  NOTICE: The main purpose of the Emacs tutorial is to teach you
>  the most important standard Emacs commands (key bindings).
>
> and proceeds that way walking the desert.
>
> My suggestion: leave the keys aside at the very beginning,
> tell user what Emacs is and why it should be used.

Would it be a simple first step to promote the 'Emacs Guided Tour' to
the top of the help menu? This contains a run-down of features that
would be interesting to new users. (By default this is on the start
page, but if you disable the start page then it takes two clicks to
find.)

Would anyone object to renaming the 'Emacs Tutorial' to 'Learn Emacs Shortcuts'?

--Stuart