Re: Key bindings proposal

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:45:08 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> IDE is *really* important to Java programmers as I understand it
>> because of restrictions of the language.
>
> No. IDEs are becoming more and more important for developers because
> they are improving productivity through smart completion, refactoring
> support, live checks, tight integration with other tools (debuggers,
> analyzers of various sorts) etc. Java/Eclipse was one of the first to
> get there, because the language is specially amenable to that sort of
> features and has lots of money backing it, but others are following
> suit.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Emacs provides neither very well, and CEDET, while very nice, is
>> unlikely to ever catch up to Eclipse.
>
> This is not necessarily so. As the author of CEDET explained a few hours
> ago, the package can interface with external tools for providing all
> sorts of information. Build an open interface to Eclipse internals
> (maybe there is already one?) and you have all the potential of Eclipse
> in Emacs. Once achieved that, you only need to do the UI work (which is
> not trivial, but certainly doable.)

There is lots of library type functionality for this sort of thing in
Java. Some of it is used in the JDE. The JDE already uses Cedet.

An similar aproach I worked on a bit was this:

- Make EDE realice a pom.xml is a Maven project file

- Hook up Cedet to the Maven via Clojure

EDE is a project support facility in Cedet. Maven is a project
dependency and build tool facility for Java. Clojure is a lisp-like
interpreter on top of Java.

The thing I wanted to achieve was:

- user downloads emacs

- installs "java-maven-cedet-adaptor.el" (or whatever) from elpa

- opens a random src file in his existing java project shared with
eclipse developers also using maven

- experiences the bliss of instant working completion and tag navigation
in Emacs, thus stunning eclipse users, otherwise accustomed to Emacs
users mumbling and pretending completion and navigation is only for n00bs.

It is entirely doable and not so far off.

--
Joakim Verona