Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:07:13 +0200

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman writes:
>

>> > (And if they are, shouldn't you work to get the keyboard
>> > handling patch into Emacs... and then we're back to the same old
>> > discussion).
>>
>> They are there in my patched version. Just grab them.
>
> I am beginning to see why things haven't been working.  It would be
> quite hard for the Emacs team to just take your patched version and
> figure out what is what.  They would need a precise patch for each
> feature.  After you give it to them, they will still have quite a bit
> work to do: to test it, document it, and to figure out if there is any
> interference with other stuff etc.

Unfortunately sending a precise patch is not enough. The patch can
sometimes be complicated (as for emacsclient) and we need time to
minimize that work. (And because of a lot of misunderstanding we have
not been able to move forward there.)

Other times it is the feature itself that has not been thought of as
important enough (as in the case of beeing able to move Emacs META or
accessibility).

I would be glad if we could move forward though. A problem is of
course that I have forgotten the details now since the code was
written several years ago. And that I have less time.