Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:08:59 +0100

Lennart Borgman writes:

> > I can either press Alt and then F to open the file menu. Can you?
>
> => I can't either press Alt and then F to open the file menu.

After discussing this with Lennart, it turns out that he uses a
feature called "sticky keys" in Windows which allows him to type `Alt'
and `f' separately to send the Alt+F (or Alt-f) event.  Emacs is
currently not interpreting this type of an event (except by mapping it
to Meta-f via the w32-alt-is-meta setting).

But the interpretation needed for a Windows user is to activate the
menubar item that begins with "f" (e.g., the File menu).  Pressing
`Alt' and `f' separately doesn't work for Lennart because he uses
sticky keys.

I hope that clarifies the conflusion.  Lennart needs the Alt+character
events interpreted by Emacs to access the menus via keyboard.

Cheers,
Uday