Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:09:49 +0900

> It's not essential, but I really appreciate having Meta on the outside
> (where my little finger can press it).  It's also nice in X because of
> the number of window managers that willy-nilly steal Alt for their own
> use.

I'm a bit confused about how the alt-meta split actually happens in X,
because I've found it _extremely_ hard to get any kind of consistent
behavior (across systems, even those running the same OS / version, and
across apps).

In particular, it seems to depend on the type of keyboard you use (USB
vs. PS/2), and Emacs does not recognize modifier mappings that other
apps do, so I get the feeling Emacs may be using reading keyboard input
at a different level than most apps (e.g., logical vs. physical or
something?).

I dunno.  It's a mess in X generally, but it seems even more of a mess
in X+Emacs...  It's hard even to describe the problem well enough to
come up with a real bug report...

-Miles

--
History, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are
brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.