Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: X11 Compound Text vs ISO 2022
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:50:57 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

> The compound text spec shows a 1989 copyright, states that it is
> version 1.1 documenting X Version 11 Release 6.8 and notes that
> it might be expandepd in the future.

> The ctext addtions were clearly added to support additional locales.
> And the expansion has stopped thanks to the general shift from iso-
> 2022 to iso-10646.

> Clearly the ctext spec should have followed along with the reference
> code just like, eg, the elisp manual follows the code.

> I think it is more than fair to update the ctext spec to document the
> current reference code, especially now that the document is old enough
> to purchase alcohol in its home country. :)

I've just committed a new code to make ctext-with-extensions
conform to X's Compound Text spec.  As for which charsets to
treat as "the standard encodings", I made a variable
ctext-standard-encodings and set the default value to this
at the moment (i.e. following the current (old) SPEC).

ascii latin-jisx0201 katakana-jisx0201 latin-iso8859-1
latin-iso8859-2 latin-iso8859-3 latin-iso8859-4
greek-iso8859-7 arabic-iso8859-6 hebrew-iso8859-8
cyrillic-iso8859-5 latin-iso8859-9 chinese-gb2312
japanese-jisx0208 korean-ksc5601

If we actually find that it is better to follow the current
CODE, we can just add more charsets to the variable.

The new code was committed to emacs-23 branch, but I don't
know when it is propagated to the trunk.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden