Re: emacs-20100802 windows binaries

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: emacs-20100802 windows binaries
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 17:39:02 -0600

Hallo Martin!

On 8/6/2010 1:34 PM, Martin Stemplinger wrote:

After a usual configure, make bootstrap, make install (using mingw on a
Vista machine) emacs worked fine including image support as desired.

I had some difficulties using "make dist" on the sources from August, 5th.

Did you use the --distfiles option to specify the location of the image library (libXpm.dll) with configure.bat?

For example, like this

configure.bat --distfiles C:\DistFileDir

This will set the DIST_FILES variable in the makefile and is necessary in order to use `make dist'.

Here is what I had to do to make it work:
1) Delete the line $(CP_DIR) $(DIST_FILES) $(TMP_DIST_DIR)/bin because
DIST_FILES is not set in the makefile
2) Copy the files BUGS, COPYING,README,README.W32 and INSTALL into the
installation directory which is not part of make install.

Looks to me like you forgot the --distfiles option. That's why the makefile does not contain the DIST_FILES variable. You should not have to manually copy anything. Also note, that this is not supposed to do what `make install' does. It is supposed to conveniently build and package a Windows distribution in a .zip file, which then has to be unzipped to the installation location. You also need 7zip on the path for this to work.

In an updated trunk checkout, I just did

bzr clean-tree --unknown --ignored --detritus --force
configure.bat --no-cygwin --enable-checking --with-gcc --distfiles D:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\src\libXpm.dll --cflags -IC:\Progra~2\GnuWin32\include --cflags -ID:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\include --cflags -ID:\devel\emacs\libXpm-3.5.8\src
mingw32-make bootstrap
mingw32-make dist

and it worked fine.

Christoph