Re: BZR and the bootstrap

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: BZR and the bootstrap
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 05:37:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Now I have noticed, when my internet connection is on (1), that BZR is
>> called during the bootstrap. This is flagged both by 'top' and the modem
>> lights.
>>
>> Why BZR is called? What is it doing?
>
> Probably because Emacs calls VC every time it needs to visit a file
> that is in a versioned directory.
>
>> What happens if I switch off the connection (2)?
>
> Nothing bad should happen, because if I'm right, Emacs invokes "bzr
> status" which is done entirely locally.

He says that the modem lights blink, indicating network activity. So it
seems that the OP is using a lightweight checkout. If that is true, I
wonder what info bzr needs from upstream. In any case, having bzr
phoning home for every visited file would be irritatingly slow and he
would already notice that. So what the OP reports is very strange.

[snip]