Re: BZR and the bootstrap

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: BZR and the bootstrap
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 20:53:37 +0900

Óscar Fuentes writes:
 > Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 > > So, which is the best tree for bootstrap?
 > >
 > > BTW, 'emacs-trunk' has a '.bzr' file of 226 M!

That's not bad, considering you can produce nearly 100,000 different
versions of Emacs from that with "bzr revert -r NNN" for NNN a
positive integer.  (It's a little more complicated than that, actually
but not much.)

 > Can you afford those 226 MB? If yes, go with the normal checkout.

+1.

You really do not want to do rsync against an active tree; there are
no consistency guarantees with rsync.  (Rsync will deliver files
correctly, I believe, but there's no guarantee that will correspond to
a version of Emacs that ever existed in any developer's workspace.)

The normal checkout is, indeed, overkill if you only ever intend to
update to latest.  However, you will often see posts saying that the
bootstrap is broken since revno 89444 or something like that, and you
can get back to something sane, *without* needing to talk to Savannah
or Launchpad, with a simple "bzr revert -r 89443".  Also, if you ever
feel the need to make a change (and I hope you will!), it's much
easier to manage those changes if you have a full local branch.