Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:16:31 +0100

Lennart Borgman writes:

> >> I really think you know:
> >>
> >> - Alt-TAB is very important, at least on w32. It switches application
> >> (or rather application level window).
> >> - Alt+Letter (or Alt and then Letter) is used to open menus.
>
> But one important thing to notice is that on w32 there is one window
> manager (with just small variations relevant here). This means that
> most people on w32 expects the common standards to work, especially
> those above. (I.e. if they are keyboard users and I guess those
> interested in Emacs are that.)

I am not sure that this is a clincher argument.  The "common
standards" apply equally to the windows-key, which you are proposing
to give up.

The point is that one has to use one kind of modifier keys (either the
alt-keys or windows-keys) for the Emacs meta-key.  It would be good to
provide the users with a choice in this regard.

Cheers,
Uday