Re: BZR and the bootstrap

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: BZR and the bootstrap
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 23:47:15 +0200

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull"<address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:57:42 +0900
Cc: Angelo Graziosi<address@hidden>, address@hidden

It's penny-wise and pound-foolish for anybody who is unfamiliar with
Bazaar to use lightweight checkouts.  Occasional contributors and beta
testers should invest in a full branch, bound or not depending on
their use cases.

If it turns out that this is how "bzr status" is supposed to work in
lightweight checkouts, perhaps VC should refrain from calling that
command when it detects a lightweight checkout.

Unless someone beats me, I would continue to do what I have always done after the migration to BZR system:

$ bzr checkout --lightweight http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk emacs-trunk

to be updated with 'bzr up'.

Now, if I want avoiding BZR to be called while bootstrapping, I will do:

$ rsync -av --exclude=.* --delete emacs-trunk/ emacs/

using 'emacs/' as source tree.

Omitting '--lightweight' is good too, but a file '.bzr' of 200M is annoying if one wants to save the bzr tree in a tar-ball archive (to be used on other systems, for example).

Ciao,
Angelo.