Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:21:21 -0400

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> - Alt-TAB is very important, at least on w32. It switches application
>>> (or rather application level window).
>>> - Alt+Letter (or Alt and then Letter) is used to open menus.
>>
>> Again, how is this different from other platforms?
>
> I think you know the other platforms better.
>
> What is unclear to you in this respect? I have not seen anything that
> I would regard as seriously doubt here of what I wrote above.

None of your points are Windows specific.  On POSIX platforms, Alt-TAB
is used commonly with to switch windows, and Alt-LETTER to open menus.
But your proposed solution is myopically focused on Windows, and I have
not seen a good explanation of why it should be so.

> But one important thing to notice is that on w32 there is one window
> manager (with just small variations relevant here). This means that
> most people on w32 expects the common standards to work, especially
> those above. (I.e. if they are keyboard users and I guess those
> interested in Emacs are that.)

Hijacking the Windows key is not exactly following the "common
standards".