Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:59:12 +0200

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Again, how is this different from other platforms?
>>
>> I think you know the other platforms better.
>>
>> What is unclear to you in this respect? I have not seen anything that
>> I would regard as seriously doubt here of what I wrote above.
>
> None of your points are Windows specific.  On POSIX platforms, Alt-TAB
> is used commonly with to switch windows, and Alt-LETTER to open menus.
> But your proposed solution is myopically focused on Windows, and I have
> not seen a good explanation of why it should be so.

I am glad they are not Windows specific (but wonder why you say I am
myopically focused on Windows).

As Andreas already have pointed out POSIX does not define those
things. So what I am interested in is how the different window
managers handles this - and you answered that. Your answer is a
repeating what others have said here before: the Alt key is commonly
used by the window managers.

And I think it is unfortunate that Emacs by default takes it since a
keyboard user might be very used to use it the way they are used
above.

>> But one important thing to notice is that on w32 there is one window
>> manager (with just small variations relevant here). This means that
>> most people on w32 expects the common standards to work, especially
>> those above. (I.e. if they are keyboard users and I guess those
>> interested in Emacs are that.)
>
> Hijacking the Windows key is not exactly following the "common
> standards".

This is in open door. I have never said that. What I have said is that
it seems better to use the windows key since I believe it is fair to
assume it is not used that frequently by most users.  (And I am quite
surprised that I have to tell this once again.)