Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:12:38 +0200

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 23:57, Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi guys, I am not sure where this discussion is headed.  Whether these
> applications of the windows key are "useful" or not is for the users
> to determine, is it not?

Am I not a user? Can't I state that I wouldn't want Emacs to
forcefully hijack the Windows key for meta? (Having it as an option is
fine, though; I wouldn't set it up in a million years.)

> So, it is not unreasonable to request that we should
> have the option under Windows too?

Nobody has argued against the *option*, I think. Me, I deny the
*necessity* that Lennart posits.

> We are talking about providing the users with a choice between
>
> - keyboard access to Emacs's own menus, and

I can access Emacs' own menus quite well if I set `w32-pass-alt-to-system'.

> - the fancy applications for a pair of modifier keys that Microsoft
> dreamt up of as justification for putting its own trademark on them.

You don't find them useful. That does not make it "fancy applications".

> Is that choice so hard to understand?

It is a false choice.

IIUC, the trouble is using Alt with StickyKeys. If so, Lennart is
invited to try and find a fix for that which does not force every
Windows user to switch to "Windows is meta".

> - Uday Perplexed

Rhetorical  [http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/question.html]

    Juanma