Re: Emacs core TLS support

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs core TLS support
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:00:43 -0500

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:59:27 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> I think I'd be OK with adding a --with-gnutls configure option that
SM> links Emacs against that library.  Especially if we can provide
SM> a compatibility footls.el library that works both --with-gnutls
SM> and without.

TZ> Is anyone interested in reviewing Simon's patch?  I think it does
TZ> exactly what you suggest except the compatibility layer, which should be
TZ> trivial since Simon kept the invocation semantics the same between
TZ> gnutls.el and starttls.el.

I posted a revised version of the patch on the gnutls-devel mailing
list and asked for help there:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/4430

(note there's a minor revision of the patch posted today at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/4442)

Simon Josefsson is active on that list but doesn't seem interested in
further supporting that patch.  So it's up to the Emacs developers to
take this on.

The patch is far from done but at least all the wrapper code is written
and it has no issues AFAIK.  All that remains is for someone with good C
knowledge to look through process.c and process.h and adjust the API
calls appropriately.  Unfortunately I haven't done C in a long time and
don't know the Emacs internals well, so it's really inefficient for me
to dig through it.

I'm attaching the latest patch here for completeness.

Ted