Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:04:39 +0200

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi guys, I am not sure where this discussion is headed.  Whether these
>> applications of the windows key are "useful" or not is for the users
>> to determine, is it not?
>
> The problem is that Lennart's proposed solution seems to be the wrong
> one.  If you want to rebind the Windows key to a modifier key, the
> conceptually correct way to do it should be via a separate program,
> separate from Emacs.

??  Where did you get this from?

If that was the case then the "conceptually correct way to" rebind the
Alt key would also be a separate program, or?

Beside that it would not solve the problem that Emacs on w32 does not
allow people which needs sticky keys to use it, i.e. it does not allow
access for some disabled people.

> That is exactly how it is done on GNU/Linux

That is maybe how it is organized on GNU/Linux. That is not the way it
is organized on w32.

> (where conventions like Alt-TAB are commonly respected, nowadays).

Might be interesting. Exactly what do you mean by "commonly respected"?

> If there is any technical reason why this cannot be done on Windows, I
> have not yet seen anyone argue it.

??