RE: Key bindings proposal

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:00:58 -0700

> > The current standard is used on all platforms: the key
> > labelled "Alt" on the keyboard is handled internally by
> > Emacs as Meta.
>
> Windows users couldn't care less about what Emacs does on all
> the other platforms.

W r o n g .     That is sooooo silly.

Lots of people (including yours truly) use multiple platforms (including
Windows) to do their work.  And some of us use Emacs.

FWIW, at Oracle most developers use Windows to access remote GNU/Linux boxes on
farms somewhere out there in the ether.  Many of them use Emacs locally (running
on Windows) as well as remotely (running on GNU/Linux).  Many of them also
access remote files on the GNU/Linux boxes using Emacs running on Windows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for developers in some other large
companies.

Yes, no doubt that is not representative of most Windows users.  Most Windows
users are not even developers.

The point is that it is ridiculous to claim that "Windows users couldn't care
less about what Emacs does on other platforms."  You have only to look at Emacs
Wiki or address@hidden, or google for examples of user .emacs files, to
see that some people have init files that are adapted to multiple platforms.

And guess what?  It's _always_ been like that.  Long before there was a Windows
at all people used Emacs on multiple platforms.  And (trust me) they do care
that the default behavior be the same or at least similar on the platforms they
use.

Relative platform independence is an important Emacs feature.
And it's not just about byte code.