Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:08:51 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for looking through the changes.

>   . Why was mouse-drag-copy-region changed to default to nil?  This
>     variable doesn't seem to be related to selections, but rather to
>     the kill ring.

IIRC, this was part of the attempt to cut down on the special casing
involved in mouse drags.  It is not consistent with shift-selection, for
instance.

If it's desired to add selections to the kill ring, I think it ought to
be done uniformly; shift-selection should do the same.

> . The change in binding mouse-2 to mouse-yank-primary instead of
>   mouse-yank-at-point, in addition to referencing only the primary
>   selection, means one more change: mouse-2 no longer yanks the last
>   kill, except through the primary selection.  Is this change in
>   behavior intentional, and if so, what is the reason behind this
>   change?

I assume you mean mouse-yank-at-click.  The change is intentional.  The
standard behavior of other X applications is for mouse-2 to insert
primary.  mouse-yank-at-click calls yank, but since
x-select-enable-primary is now nil, that does not insert primary.

We could change mouse-yank-primary so that it calls yank if no primary
selection exists.  But maybe that is too confusing.