Re: The copyright issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The copyright issue
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:03:17 +0200

Walter Alejandro Iglesias <address@hidden> writes:

>> The aim of the GNU Project is to win freedom for software users.
>> The only way I can relate your message to the issue
>> is to interpret it as defeatism.  Please take that somewhere else.
>> Whether you think we will succeed or fail is not relevant
>> because we are going to try anyway.
>
> Obviously, my thinking does not have "cow super powers".  It would be
> wonderful to be able to change the world with just my thinking!

There is nothing else that is going to change the world, in particular
to the better.

> You said that popularity of GNU is not important for you.  This means
> that you think that the fact that people just 'use' or 'consume' free
> software in not the point.  This is exactly what I meant with my
> particular 'acid' sense of humor: people must understand 'why' to use
> free software.  This is relevant.

Not much.  Most people don't value personal freedom either.  They still
benefit from it.  It is important that the message registers with enough
people that care and make a difference.  But most people are apathetic
in almost all of their endeavors.  They pick their authority and their
nose and stick with it.

--
David Kastrup