Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:59:25 +0900

Uday S Reddy writes:

 > The problem is that one of the eggs has the the Microsoft logo on
 > it, and people are afraid to break it.

That's a silly and unproductive claim.

Yidong has opposed even providing the option, but I don't understand
his logic.  Everybody else is in favor of providing the option.
They're not afraid of breaking an egg labeled Microsoft, not even
Yidong.

It seems to be that the real development problem here is that we don't
have a reviewable patch.  Lennart wants to dump his whole branch on
the mainline because he doesn't have time to sort things out.  The
core devs are uninterested in doing the reviewing of a whole branch
with many features in it, some of them not particularly desirable it
would seem.

The solution is obvious: some third party with an interest in getting
this feature into Emacs should

1.  Check that Lennart wants to contribute it partially, and is
    willing to/already has signed papers for it.

2.  Get Lennart's version, test that it does what the third party
    thinks it should do.

3.  Dive into the source and tease out a diff that isolates that
    feature.

4.  Submit the patch and push it through the process.

If you get to 4, I bet Yidong will change his mind enough to at least
review the patch.  OTOH, if nobody wants to do that, the whole
discussion is moot, isn't it?