RE: Key bindings proposal

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: RE: Key bindings proposal
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 06:20:49 -0400

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 19:05 -0700, Drew Adams wrote:

> > > W r o n g .     That is sooooo silly.
> > >
> > > Lots of people (including yours truly) use multiple
> > > platforms (including Windows) to do their work.
> > > And some of us use Emacs.
> >
> > Please note that I was referring to "Windows users." The part that
> > depicts them as users of other platforms too is your original
> > addition.
>
> But that's the point.  The "standard is used on all platforms".  Emacs is
> similar, if not the same, on all platforms.  And that's important, including
> some Emacs users.
>
> Why, you say? What do "Windows users" care about other platforms?
>
> Well one reason it is important that a common standard be used across
> platforms
> is that "Windows users" are not necessarily users of Windows _only_.

Another reason is that the vast majority of third-party Emacs tutorials,
wikis, how-tos, etc. aren't written by Windows users.  So if it's three
in the morning and you're trying to set up foo package using the
customizations from someone using a *nix, the last thing you need is for
things to work differently for you because you're running Windows.

Jeff

--
web:  http://www.chaosphere.com
Author of Genesys, a Free Universal Paper and Pencil RPG.