Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:02:59 +0300

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:35:15 +0900
>
> > Given Jan's clarifications, doesn't Emacs on X put any selected text
> > in the primary selection, no matter how it was selected?
>
> No, if you select text with "C-@ <movement", it doesn't (you have to do
> "C-w" to get it in the primary)

The last part, about C-w, is with x-select-enable-primary non-nil,
right?  With the default nil value, IIUC, C-w should _not_ put text
into primary, just into the clipboard.  That's what I understand from
Jan's explanations.

> though now that I test it, "shift selected" text _does_ get put in
> the primary (lame!).

Why ``lame''?  Selections with C-SPC+movement and with Shift+movement
are different, so why expect them to behave the same.  I think
shift-selected text is conceptually like mouse-selected text.  Do you
expect mouse-selected text also not set the primary selection?

> Sometimes I think this stuff is just completely random...

I know the feeling ;-)