Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:23:38 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> No, if you select text with "C-@ <movement", it doesn't (you have to do
>> "C-w" to get it in the primary)
>
> The last part, about C-w, is with x-select-enable-primary non-nil,
> right?  With the default nil value, IIUC, C-w should _not_ put text
> into primary, just into the clipboard.  That's what I understand from
> Jan's explanations.

It's with "emacs -Q"

>> though now that I test it, "shift selected" text _does_ get put in
>> the primary (lame!).
>
> Why ``lame''?  Selections with C-SPC+movement and with Shift+movement
> are different, so why expect them to behave the same.

They should not be different.  To a user, they're both "selection", and
every pointless difference is just grounds for confusion.  The user
should be able to use whichever he find convenient (or both ... I do)
without weird subtle differences.

> I think shift-selected text is conceptually like mouse-selected text.
> Do you expect mouse-selected text also not set the primary selection?

I'd be fine with that, though I imagine the same drive for
"compatibility with other apps" that started the current round of
mucking-about would resist that solution.

Mouse-Selection has always been "kind of weird" in Emacs (compared to
keyboard selection); I don't think that's good, but I think it's more
acceptable than subtle inconsistencies between keyboard selection
methods.

Of course, perhaps the best solution of all, would be to have _all_
selections available as primary (including "C-@ <movement>"
selections).  That would give both consistency within emacs, and with
other apps.

>> Sometimes I think this stuff is just completely random...
>
> I know the feeling ;-)

-Miles

--
Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.