Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:59:30 +0300

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:00:04 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > We could change mouse-yank-primary so that it calls yank if no primary
> > selection exists.  But maybe that is too confusing.
>
> This is directly relevant to the issue at (my) hand: how to restore
> the expected behavior of selections on Windows.  If it is okay to call
> `yank' when there's no primary selection, then that's one way of
> fixing the bug on Windows.  But then note that `yank' does not only
> insert text, it also does other non-trivial things to the kill ring
> etc.; so if the primary selection _does_ exist, all those things won't
> be done.  This is unlike the old code, which accessed the selection
> from inside `yank', and then treated it in the same way as if it came
> from the kill ring.
>
> An alternative way of fixing the bug on Windows would be to modify the
> Windows implementation of x-get-selection to get the text from the
> clipboard if the (emulated) primary selection does not exist.
>
> Which of these ways is the best one, depends on clearing up the above
> confusions.

For now, I fixed the Windows build by using x-get-selection-value in
preference to the primary selection.  This change is in revno 101080.
Whether any changes are needed in x-get-selection emulation on Windows
depends on the rest of this thread: how we want to behave wrt selected
text and primary selection on X and wrt the clipboard on w32.

> One other issue we should consider IMO is what is the semantics of
> mouse-2 in sessions that support the mouse, but cannot access
> selections.  One such example is a TTY with a GPM mouse.  I don't have
> access to such a build of Emacs, but I'm quite sure mouse-2 there will
> either do nothing or signal an error.

This is still broken and need to be fixed.