Re: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer in VC-diff
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:14:52 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> I think the shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer call in vc-diff-finish
> shouldn't be there in the first place.  It's well-intentioned, but even
> in cases less extreme that the above, it can be annoying to resize the
> user's windows.  Any objection to removing this call?

Isn't this same objection also applicable to _all_ uses of
shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer?

[Sometimes I like the effect of such shrinking, sometimes I'm annoyed by
it, but I don't see a really good way to decide between these cases
mechanically...  well except that obviously for "transient" windows --
e.g. completion from the minibuffer -- shrinking is almost always good.]

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]