RE: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:48:53 -0700

> Users _shouldn't have to think very hard about this_,

I sure agree with that.

Just to check, however: Do you think that Emacs users have had to think very
hard in the past about this?  I don't think so - I think Emacs copy/cut/paste
(kill/yank) has been pretty simple to learn and use - both for keyboard and
mouse.

(I do agree with some of your observations in the last year or two that this has
gotten somewhat less straightforward, notably wrt Shift selection etc.)

> simple rules are important... a good simple rule is:
>
>    If you _see_ a selected region in Emacs (no matter how it was
>    selected), it's available as the primary for pasting in other apps.

I'm not sure I understand you right, but it sounds like you're saying that
someone who wants to repeatedly paste/yank the same bit of text, whether using
mouse-2 or C-y, would have to re-activate the region each time before doing so,
so that it first becomes visible.

If that's what you mean, then it sounds a whole lot less convenient than what
Emacs has offered users in the past.  No matter how you select text, you have
always been able to paste/yank it repeatedly using either mouse-2 or C-y,
without caring whether the region is visible.

(I'm not distinguishing paste from yank or mouse-2 from C-y here.  I imagine
that you are.  But I'm not sure that matters for what I want to say in this
regard.)