Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:16:09 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>         "'David De La Harpe Golden'" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:48:16 -0700
>
> Emacs has traditionally associated mouse-2 pasting with yanking the
> head of the kill ring.

Drew, you make a convincing argument that you would like selecting
text to set the clipboard with that text.  It turns out others don't
want that.  Assuming that we have or will have an option to get you
what you want, this becomes an argument about the default behavior.
Is it still worth our time to have that argument?  Does it really
matter if you are part of the majority or not?

Instead of arguing about the defaults, I'd suggest to discuss the
various preferences of users regarding this, and see that we have one
or two clearly defined options to get everyone what they want,
including on X/ns, on Windows, and on text-only terminals that support
the mouse.