Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:37:08 +0900

<address@hidden> writes:
> Chong> The current standard is used on all platforms: the key labelled
> Chong> "Alt" on the keyboard is handled internally by Emacs as Meta.
>
> Is this really correct?
> I have for a long time used the windows key as my meta key and that I
> have realised that simply by reshuffling the modifier keysyms via
> xmodmap.

I think it's impossible to make any firm statements about the issue on
modern systems, there are just too many layers stepping on each others'
toes, too many vague system/device-dependent details, and too much
"helpful" tweaking by various parties (e.g., gnome-session).

[Currently on my home system, the Alt key maps to meta in Emacs, but the
"Windows" (really super) key maps to meta in most non-Emacs apps; on my
work system (with identical software/OS versions), this inconsistency
doesn't exist.  I have no idea why...]

-Miles

--
Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious.