Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:11:00 -0700

Hi,

        I compiled an emacs from CVS a few minutes ago, and ran with
 ./src/emacs -Q. I tried three methods of selecting text:

  1) Click  down-mouse-1 at start fo text, click down-mouse-3 at end of text
  2) Drag mouse-1 from start to end of text
  3) move point to start of text, hit C-SPX, move cursor to end of text,
     and hit M-w

        I tried the following combinations:
1 Select with mouse, paste with mouse
   Works fine

2 Drag with mouse, paste with mouse
  Works fine

3 Select with M-w, yank with C-y
  Works as well

4 Select with M-w, Paste with mouse
  Works fine

5 Select with mouse, yank with C-y
  Works

6 Drag (or double click) with mouse, yank with C-y
  Does not work

        What do I set to  allow this mouse drag (which does highlight
 text)  to be yanked when I hit C-y? (I do want to be able to yank text
 I see high lighted, whether the highlighting happened by any of the
 three methods above).

        As an end user, I don't know whether the highlighted text I see
 goes into Primary, Secondary, or clipboard (I use X windows on a
 GNU/Linux machine). I see it highlighted, and am very confused as to why
 it sometimes does not yank with C-y. I find this inconsistency in Emacs
 confusing.

        manoj
--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>