Re: keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: keyboard politics [Was: Key bindings proposal]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:14:22 +0100

On 8/14/2010 10:22 PM, Xah Lee wrote:

the way i'm guessing how the Win logo became common in PC keyboard is this:

Microsoft invented the key and logo (probably influenced by Apple), and place
it on the keyboard they manufacture, as well integrated in their OS for use of
that key. Perhaps in a year or two, other keyboard manufactures, in competition
with Microsoft's hardware department, also wanted to have that key, because
MS's OS is very popular.

Well, at the time (Microsoft natural keyboard in 1994 and the first successful Windows build in 1995), Microsoft's OS wasn't exactly "popular". Many corporations were using Mac's, and Microsoft had to wean them back to the PC.

Yes, it is plausible that Microsoft introduced the windows key in its own keyboard and probably copied Apple in doing so. (This is by no means the biggest thing they copied from Apple in the 90's!).

However, the windows key in its original form was just a start button. Notice this in your own picture.

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/ms_keyboard/ms_natural_keyboard.html

I found the O'Reilly "Windows 95 in a Nutshell" guide on my bookshelf (still!) and verified that invoking the start menu was all that the windows key did originally. I remember going, "why do they have such a silly key in such a strategic location?"

So, you can understand my disrespect for the Microsoft windows key. Not only was it copied from Apple (as we are guessing), but also rather stupidly copied. Now, it is possible that the Microsoft's keyboard division (which was quite good) and the Windows division (which was trying hard to catch up) were out of sync and the stupidity wasn't intentional. It is also possible that Microsoft just found an opportunity to push its brand and used it.

i'm not sure if there's anything explicitly sinister about how it came to
became so popular.

If you have read any of the documents in the Microsoft antitrust case, you will definitely change your mind about the "sinister" bit. Microsoft bullied a whole industry into submission. Yes, a keyboard manufacturer doesn't have to put the windows key or logo, but if they posed a threat to Microsoft dominance, Microsoft knew how to bring them in line.

------

Coming back to the point of discussion, since Microsoft never designed complete systems like Apple did, their OS and keyboard are loosely coupled. One doesn't have to use the windows key to use Windows, or to use it effectively. Since the OS cannot depend on the presence of the windows key, it can't put essential functions on it, only conveniences. There is no reason why the users can't use it for different purposes if they want to. And, there is no reason why Emacs shouldn't take full control of it to serve its users' needs.

Cheers,
Uday