Re: Selection changes in revno 100822

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Selection changes in revno 100822
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:27:03 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:
>>>    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
>>>    (setq x-select-enable-primary t)
>>>
>>> They make things work better for me.
>>
>>         Thanks. That did work; and I think that ought to be the default
>>  if we detect that the window-system is X
>
> Me too, but others feel differently.

I seem to remember that the clipboard, as opposed to the selection,
required actively transmitting the content at the time of selection.
Since most selections are not going to be pasted (in particular all
temporary selections during something like shift-selection), that is a
performance issue, particularly on non-local X displays.

The selection, in contrast, needs transmission to the X server only if
it is being pasted.

I may be wrong, but I think there is definitely some performance issue
involved with the defaults.

--
David Kastrup